This beautiful summertime dessert is from Southern Living Magazine, and I love it.
Black and Blue Buttermilk Tart
PREP TIME: Active 25 Min. Total 55 Min. Plus 8 hours Chilling SERVES: 8-10
- 56 round buttery Ritz crackers from 2 sleeves
- 1 Large Egg White
- ¼ Cup Unsalted Butter (Melted)
- 3 Tablespoons Sugar
- ½ Cup Granulated Sugar
- ¾ Cup Heavy Cream
- 1 Large Vanilla Bean Pod
- 1 ¼ teaspoon Unflavored Gelatin (from One 1/4-oenvelope)
- 1 ½ 8 oz. Pkg. Cream Cheese, Softened
- ¾ cup Whole Buttermilk
- ¼ teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1 ½ Cups Fresh Blackberries
- 1 ½ Cups Fresh Blueberries
- Small Fresh Basil Leaves
- Preheat oven to 350 Pulse crackers in a food processor until finely ground, 6 to 8 times. Add egg white, butter, and 3 Tablespoons of sugar. Pulse until well combined, about 4 times.
- Scatter crumb mixture evenly on bottom of a 9-or10 inch tart pan with removable bottom. Using a straight-side glass or dry measuring cup, firmly press crumbs on bottom and against side of pan
- Bake crust in preheated oven until golden brown around the edges, 12 to 14 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, pour cream into a small saucepan. Using a small knife, split the vanilla bean into cream; discard pod. Sprinkle gelatin evenly over cream. Let stand 5 minutes. Stir in remaining ½ cup sugar. Cook over medium-low stirring constantly, until gelatin and sugar are dissolved. 4 to 5 minutes.
- Transfer cream mixture to food processor. Pinch cream cheese into 1- to-2-inch pieces, and place in food processor. Add buttermilk and salt. Process mixture until smooth, 20 to 30 seconds; pour into cooled tart crust. Chill until set, 8 hours or up to 1 day. Before serving, scatter berries over top; garnish with basil leaves.